Monday, October 4, 2010

Looking for Whales

Saturday's tour was a five hour Whale Spotting excursion.

I took the bus to Steveston near Richmond, to board one of two jet powered Whale Explorer boats.

_D306405.jpg

The boat trip took about 1.5 hours or so to get to the spotting area - The crew had microphones in the water to tell when they were close... The sounds coming from them over the boats speakers were amazing.

I must admit to showing my ignorance, as I was expecting (at best) to see a bump or something in the water in the distance - What I wasn't ready for was a group of 15-20 Killer Whales within 100m of the boat.

Thank goodness I had bought my 70-200vr with me - The perfect lens for close quarters shots like these.

Killer Whales

The speed and grace of the animals was brilliant to see - I am sure we have all seen Dolphins (and possibly even Killer Whales) in tanks at Seaworld, but to see these huge creates playing in their natural habitat was very humbling.

_D306505.jpg

Although most of the hour we were there the Whales just swam up and down ,which was impressive enough as they came up for air (as above), I was fortunate enough to capture one of them 'playing' too:

_D306481.jpg

As you can imagine I took loads of photos - I will process the others when I get back home, and post a link.

Sealions

We also had a further treat on the way back to Steveston as the captain stopped at a small island to allow us to see a group of Sealions that were basking there:

_D306554.jpg

 

_D306531.jpg

Quote of the day must surely go to the French couple on the boat: "I told you we should have bought the camera today" - Yes you should!

Yet another terrific day in Canada - Off to Toronto for a couple of days now. I want to get some photos of a certain well-known waterfall...