Monday, July 26, 2010

'Clare' - July 2010

This month's image was taken the evening after I attended a Lighting Seminar with the outstanding talent that is Joe McNally Joe's Portfolio

We spent the day dispelling the myth that you need to speed £1000s on 'Big Lights' to get a nice Portrait shot.

This image of Clare:

was shot with a single SB-900 Flash, fired into a small Ezybox softbox.

The original was is colour, but I thought B&W would suit is far better...

I converted to B&W in Photoshop, and added a little sparkle to Clare's eye to make them 'ping' a bit.

As you can see from the original image:

The cupboards in the background reflected some of the light, and were therefore very distracting - I worked around this by adding a texture layer to the B&W image, and masking out the area where Clare was standing.

I hope you like the results as much as I do.